Navy-Marine Corps MARS in Vietnam

Back Up

Archive 03 MARCH 2006 

Did Cheney violate Texas hunting laws?     James Webb For Senate    Terrorism symposium   POSITIVE STEP TOWARD INDEPENDENT OPERATIONS       Beirut Stamp       Edwards AFB Air Show        High Flight   Veteran Communicators    Coolest Dog in the World    I like Bush but this is Funny   Parking at the Beach   USMC 40 YEARS AGO  Tennessee Marine Family    3/7 challenge coin   Don't rush the old folks   The bird dog    Quick thinking   Hue Memorial Ceremony April 7-9  Monsters and the Weak   IRAQ 3 MARCH 2006    A. A. A. D. D.   Israpundit    EU Turning into a Soviet Type Dictatorship?

How Muslims Punish an 8yr old child

 Subject: Did Vice President Dick Cheney violate Texas hunting laws??


Yet more shocking revelations came to light today regarding last weekend's hunting 'accident' in Texas. Officials at the Texas State Wildlife and Game Department revealed that Vice President Dick Cheney violated established State hunting laws when he shot Mr. Harry Whittington, a tax lawyer.


As Wildlife Ranger John Burton explained - "We got nothin' against huntin' lawyers around here, hell, I've bagged a few myself. And Mr. Huntington's age made him a prime candidate for herd-thinning: he's 78 and way past his prime. But Whittington is a TAX lawyer, and you ain't allowed to take tax lawyers until May 1st."


In 1987, in an agreement reached with the Texas Bar Association, the Wildlife & Game Dept. established a series of laws regulating the hunting of lawyers. "You have to understand," said the Chairman of the TBA, "if we don't thin 'em out then they overpopulate their ego-system.


"Next thing you know, there aren't enough cases to go around. Young lawyers starve, or clog up the court-houses and television trying to drum up clients. It just messes things up. But we also didn't want indiscriminant slaughter, so we got together with the Wildlife boys and set up a few rules."


These rules include the following:  

  1. Only lawyers above the age of 64 and personal-injury attorneys of any age (males) may be taken, with a limit of two per hunter per year. Muzzle-loader hunters are allowed three, bow-hunters are restricted to four.

  2. Only female lawyers above child-bearing age may be shot, even personal-injury attorneys.

  3. Tax lawyer hunting season is the only time restriction, with the season running from May 1st to December 12th.

 "Of course, the usual standard hunting rules apply: no setting up lawyer-stands within a 10-mile radius of a courthouse, no money-licks, and no shooting 'em when they're seated," said Ranger Burton. "We Texans are hunters, pure and simple, there's nothing like bagging a 67 year-old corporate merger attorney at 200 yards with a compound bow. But you have to have standards, and you have to play by the rules and give 'em a fighting chance."


The Vice President will more than likely receive a fine of $10,000, and may even be required to perform a few hours of community service. "I know that seems sorta harsh for just nailing a really old one with some bird-shot, but me and a few others suspect that this was what we call a 'canned hunt' the Vice President invited the lawyer along on. It ain't illegal per se, but a canned hunt is just plain wrong, and an insult to all of us who hunt lawyer the proper way."


When asked for comment, White House Spokesman Scott McClelland confirmed that "Vice President Cheney did indeed pull the trigger which activated the primer which detonated, which caused a rapid formation of gas which pushed the shell which sent the pellets flying in the general direction of the lawyer. But he didn't know about that tax-lawyer loophole stuff." 

Back to Top

To my Marine and other military veteran brothers and sisters: 

Former Secretary of the Navy James Webb (author of "Fields of Fire" and other books), and who served in Vietnam as a Marine officer, and was awarded he Navy Cross, is running for Congress in Virginia.  He is a registered Democrat, but is running on a pro-military, pro-veteran ticket against a Republican incumbent who has never worn a uniform. The opposition is preparing to attack Jim on issues that attack his military service and previous government service. See the below emails for more info.  I'm a life long Republican, but I am getting very irritated with the crew in D.C. now that can't seem to get their sticks in the same bundle. No one is stopping the border invasion, and we are not supporting our veterans, our veteran and military retiree health issues, and our military retirees pensions. Instead, the current administration is taking money out of veterans and disabled vets programs to fund other things, like building border outposts in Afghanistan and buying new billion dollar military hardware we don't need.  We need to support Jim Webb in his campaign, even if we don't live in Virginia. Carl Rove and his strategists will try to use former Marines and other vets to attack Jim. Let's make sure we counter their attacks.

Back to Top

 The Terrorism symposium has been scheduled

Contributed by WAYMOR Net


The Underlying Roots of Terrorism:

Terrorism's Threat to World Peace

and National Security

April 29th, 2006

The Greater Washington DC Area

"As you know, the onus of responsibility for understanding the evil that faces our country in the form of radical Islamist terrorism rests with the American people. We cannot rely on the mainstream media to inform the country on this matter without bias. The dissemination of accurate and truthful information regarding this looming danger has become the civic responsibility of We the People."

ymposium seating is extremely limited. Please visit our site to register for these events:

 Back to Top


USMC Press Release


Point of Contact:

1stLt Nathan J. Braden

Public Affairs Officer

March 4, 2006 

FALLUJAH, Iraq – Soldiers from the 2nd Brigade, 1st Iraqi Army Division spearheaded their second independent security operation here today.

Iraqi soldiers searched and cleared three Fallujah neighborhoods with a history of insurgent activity in order to empty the area of insurgents, look for weapons caches, and continue to build and improve their relationships with the citizens.

Operation Eagle 2 resulted in the discovery of one improvised explosive device and enhanced relations between the residents of Fallujah and the Iraqi soldiers.

The operation was a success because it gave the soldiers more tactical experience, which increases their capabilities and boosts their confidence, said Iraqi Command Sgt. Maj. Abdulrazzaq Abdullah. 

The senior enlisted soldier in 2nd Brigade added that the unit wants to do more of these operations in the future, because they show the people the soldiers are there for their protection.

The brigade was assisted in the operation by the Fallujah Police Department.  Officers from the city supported the search by providing additional security in the three neighborhoods as the soldiers patrolled the streets and met with residents.

The operation was also supported by Marines from 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 5, who manned an outer security cordon while Iraqi security forces conducted the search.

Marine military advisors to the brigade accompanied the brigade staff during the operation.

“Today’s security operation did a good job disrupting the enemy, but another benefit was that the brigade staff’s ability to command and control was greatly improved from the brigade’s first operation a few weeks ago,” said Maj. Brian D. Wirtz, operations advisor to 2nd Brigade, 1st Iraqi Army Division.

The brigade made a positive step toward independent operations today, added Wirtz, 32, from Carlsbad, Calif. They also identified key areas they will work to improve for their next operation, he said.

The 2nd Brigade, 1st Iraqi Army Division is partnered with Regimental Combat Team 5, under the I Marine Expeditionary Force (Fwd) in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.


Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Back to Top

Beirut Stamp


This link contains a petition requesting the USPS issuance of a stamp honoring the servicemen who died in the Beirut, Lebanon bombing in 1983.  See the black bar at top where is says -- sign the petition.


20,000 signatures are needed for presentation. Please support this effort by signing the petition.


Back to Top

Great Pictures of Edwards AFB Air Show

Contributed by Wayne Justis

Back to Top

 High Flight by Barry Schiff

contributed by Barry Weathersby

Maj. Dean Neeley is in the forward, lower cockpit of the Lockheed U-2ST, a two-place version of the U-2S, a high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft that the Air Force calls "Dragon Lady.." His voice on the intercom breaks the silence. "Do you know that you're the highest person in the world?" He explains that I am in the higher of the two cockpits and that there are no other U-2s airborne right now. "Astronauts don't count," he says, "They're out of this world."

We are above 70,000 feet and still climbing slowly as the aircraft becomes lighter. The throttle has been at its mechanical limit since takeoff, and the single General Electric F118-GE-101 turbofan engine sips fuel so slowly at this altitude that consumption is less than when idling on the ground. Although true airspeed is that of a typical jetliner, indicated airspeed registers only in double digits. I cannot detect the curvature of the Earth, although some U-2 pilots claim that they can. The sky at the horizon is hazy white but transitions to midnight blue at our zenith. It seems that if we were much higher, the sky would become black enough to see stars at noon.. The Sierra Nevada, the mountainous spine of California, has lost its glory, a mere corrugation on the Earth. Lake Tahoe looks like a fishing hole, and rivers have become rivulets. Far below, "high flying" jetliners etch contrails over Reno, Nevada, but we are so high above these aircraft that they cannot be seen.

I feel mild concern about the bailout light on the instrument panel and pray that Neeley does not have reason to turn it on. At this altitude I also feel a sense of insignificance and isolation; earthly concerns seem trivial. This flight is an epiphany, a life-altering experience. I cannot detect air noise through the helmet of my pressure suit. I hear only my own breathing, the hum of avionics through my headset and, inexplicably, an occasional, shallow moan from the engine, as if it were gasping for air. Atmospheric pressure is only an inch of mercury, less than 4 percent of sea-level pressure. Air density and engine power are similarly low. The stratospheric wind is predictably light, from the southwest at 5 kt, and the outside air temperature is minus 61 degrees Celsius. Neeley says that he has never experienced weather that could not be topped in a U-2, and I am reminded of the classic transmission made by John Glenn during Earth orbit in a Mercury space capsule: "Another thousand feet, and we'll be on top."

Although not required, we remain in contact with Oakland Center while in the Class E airspace that begins at Flight Level 600. The U-2's Mode C transponder, however, can indicate no higher than FL600. When other U-2s are in the area, pilots report their altitudes, and ATC keeps them separated by 5,000 feet and 10 miles. Our high-flying living quarters are pressurized to 29,500 feet, but 100-percent oxygen supplied only to our faces lowers our physiological altitude to about 8,000 feet. A pressurization-system failure would cause our suits to instantly inflate to maintain a pressure altitude of 35,000 feet, and the flow of pure oxygen would provide a physiological altitude of 10,000 feet.

The forward and aft cockpits are configured almost identically. A significant difference is the down-looking periscope/driftmeter in the center of the forward instrument panel. It is used to precisely track over specific ground points during reconnaissance, something that otherwise would be impossible from high altitude. The forward cockpit also is equipped with a small side-view mirror extending into the air stream. It is used to determine if the U-2 is generating a telltale contrail when over hostile territory. Considering its 103- foot wingspan and resultant roll dampening, the U-2 maneuvers surprisingly well at altitude; the controls are light and nicely harmonized. Control wheels (not sticks) are used, however, perhaps because aileron forces are heavy at low altitude. A yaw string (like those used on sailplanes above each canopy silently admonishes those who allow the aircraft to slip or skid when maneuvering. The U-2 is very much a stick-and-rudder airplane, and I discover that slipping can be avoided by leading turn entry and recovery with slight rudder pressure.

When approaching its service ceiling, the U-2's maximum speed is little more than its minimum. This marginal difference between the onset of stall buffet and Mach buffet is known as coffin corner, an area warranting caution. A stall/spin sequence can cause control loss from which recovery might not be possible when so high, and an excessive Mach number can compromise structural integrity. Thankfully, an autopilot with Mach hold is provided. The U-2 has a fuel capacity of 2,915 gallons of thermally stable jet fuel distributed among four wing tanks. It is unusual to discuss turbine fuel in gallons instead of pounds, but the 1950s-style fuel gauges in the U-2 indicate in gallons. Most of the other flight instruments seem equally antiquated.

I train at 'The Ranch' Preparation for my high flight began the day before at Beale Air Force Base (a. k. a. The Ranch), which is north of Sacramento, California, and was where German prisoners of war were interned during World War II. It is home to the 9th Reconnaissance Wing, which is responsible for worldwide U-2 operations, including those aircraft based in Cyprus; Italy; Saudi Arabia; and South Korea.  After passing a physical exam, I took a short, intensive course in high-altitude physiology and use of the pressure suit. The 27-pound Model S1034 "pilot's protective assembly" is manufactured by David Clark (the headset people) and is the same as the one used by astronauts during shuttle launch and reentry. After being measured for my $150,000 spacesuit, I spent an hour in the egress trainer. It provided no comfort to learn that pulling up mightily on the handle between my legs would activate the ejection seat at any altitude or airspeed. When the handle is pulled, the control wheels go fully forward, explosives dispose of the canopy, cables attached to spurs on your boots pull your feet aft, and you are rocketed into space. You could then free fall in your inflated pressure suit for 54,000 feet or more. I was told that "the parachute opens automatically at 16,500 feet, or you get a refund."

I later donned a harness and virtual-reality goggles to practice steering a parachute to landing. After lunch, a crew assisted me into a pressure suit in preparation for my visit to the altitude chamber. There I became reacquainted with the effects of hypoxia and was subjected to a sudden decompression that elevated the chamber to 73,000 feet. The pressure suit inflated as advertised and just as suddenly I became the Michelin man. I was told that it is possible to fly the U-2 while puffed up but that it is difficult.

A beaker of water in the chamber boiled furiously to demonstrate what would happen to my blood if I were exposed without protection to ambient pressure above 63,000 feet. After a thorough preflight briefing the next morning, Neeley and I put on long johns and UCDs (urinary collection devices), were assisted into our pressure suits, performed a leak check (both kinds), and settled into a pair of reclining lounge chairs for an hour of breathing pure oxygen. This displaces nitrogen in the blood to prevent decompression sickness (the bends) that could occur during ascent.  During this "pre-breathing," I felt as though I were in a Ziploc bag- style cocoon and anticipated the possibility of claustrophobia. There was none, and I soon became comfortably acclimatized to my confinement.

We were in the aircraft an hour later. Preflight checks completed and engine started, we taxied to Beale's 12,000-foot-long runway. The single main landing gear is not steerable, differential braking is unavailable, and the dual tailwheels move only 6 degrees in each direction, so it takes a lot of concrete to maneuver on the ground. Turn radius is 189 feet, and I had to lead with full rudder in anticipation of all turns. We taxied into position and came to a halt so that personnel could remove the safety pins from the outrigger wheels (called pogos) that prevent one wing tip or the other from scraping the ground. Lt. Col. Greg "Spanky" Barber, another U-2 pilot, circled the aircraft in a mobile command vehicle to give the aircraft a final exterior check.

I knew that the U-2 is overpowered at sea level. It has to be for its engine, normally aspirated like every other turbine engine, to have enough power remaining to climb above 70,000 feet. Also, we weighed only 24,000 pounds (maximum allowable is 41,000 pounds) and were departing into a brisk headwind. Such knowledge did not prepare me for what followed.  The throttle was fully advanced and would remain that way until the beginning of descent. The 17,000 pounds of thrust made it feel as though I had been shot from a cannon. Within two to three seconds and 400 feet of takeoff roll, the wings flexed, the pogos fell away, and we entered a nose-up attitude of almost 45 degrees at a best-angle-of- climb airspeed of 100 kt. Initial climb rate was 9,000 fpm. We were still over the runway and through 10,000 feet less than 90 seconds from brake release. One need not worry about a flameout after takeoff in a U-2. There either is enough runway to land straight ahead or enough altitude (only 1,000 feet is needed) to circle the airport for a dead-stick approach and landing.

The bicycle landing gear creates little drag and has no limiting airspeed, so there was no rush to tuck away the wheels. (The landing gear is not retracted at all when in the traffic pattern shooting touch and goes.) We passed through 30,000 feet five minutes after liftoff and climb rate steadily decreased until above 70,000 feet, when further climb occurred only as the result of fuel burn. On final approach Dragon Lady is still drifting toward the upper limits of the atmosphere at 100 to 200 fpm and will continue to do so until it is time to descend. It spends little of its life at a given altitude. Descent begins by retarding the throttle to idle and lowering the landing gear. We raise the spoilers, deploy the speed brakes (one on each side of the aft fuselage), and engage the gust alleviation system. This raises both ailerons 7.5 degrees above their normal neutral point and deflects the wing flaps 6.5 degrees upward. This helps to unload the wings and protect the airframe during possible turbulence in the lower atmosphere. Gust protection is needed because the Dragon Lady is like a China doll; she cannot withstand heavy gust and maneuvering loads. Strength would have required a heavier structure, and the U-2's designer, Clarence "Kelly" Johnson, shaved as much weight as possible-which is why there are only two landing gear legs instead of three.. Every pound saved resulted in a 10-foot increase in ceiling.

With everything possible hanging and extended, the U-2 shows little desire to go down. It will take 40 minutes to descend to traffic pattern altitude but we needed only half that time climbing to altitude.  During this normal descent, the U-2 covers 37 nm for each 10,000 of altitude lost. When clean and at the best glide speed of 109 kt, it has a glide ratio of 28:1. It is difficult to imagine ever being beyond glide range of a suitable airport except when over large bodies of water or hostile territory. Because there is only one fuel quantity gauge, and it shows only the total remaining, it is difficult to know whether fuel is distributed evenly, which is important when landing a U-2. A low-altitude stall is performed to determine which is the heavier wing, and some fuel is then transferred from it to the other.

We are on final approach with flaps at 35 degrees (maximum is 50 degrees) in a slightly nose-down attitude. The U-2 is flown with a heavy hand when slow, while being careful not to overcontrol. Speed over the threshold is only 1.1 VSO (75 kt), very close to stall. More speed would result in excessive floating. I peripherally see Barber accelerating the 140-mph, stock Chevrolet Camaro along the runway as he joins in tight formation with our landing aircraft. I hear him on the radio calling out our height (standard practice for all U-2 landings). The U-2 must be close to normal touchdown attitude at a height of one foot before the control wheel is brought firmly aft to stall the wings and plant the tail wheel on the concrete. The feet remain active on the pedals, during which time it is necessary to work diligently to keep the wings level. A roll spoiler on each wing lends a helping hand when its respective aileron is raised more than 13 degrees.

The aircraft comes to rest, a wing tip falls to the ground, and crewmen appear to reattach the pogos for taxiing. Landing a U-2 is notoriously challenging, especially for those who have never flown tail draggers or sail planes. It can be like dancing with a lady or wrestling a dragon, depending on wind and runway conditions. Maximum allowable crosswind is 15 kt. The U-2 was first flown by Tony LeVier in August 1955, at Groom Lake (Area 51), Nevada. The aircraft was then known as Article 341, an attempt by the Central Intelligence Agency to disguise the secret nature of its project. Current U-2s are 40 percent larger and much more powerful than the one in which Francis Gary Powers was downed by a missile over the Soviet Union on May 1, 1960.

The Soviets referred to the U-2 as the "Black Lady of Espionage" because of its spy missions and mystique. The age of its design, however, belies the sophistication of the sensing technology carried within. During U. S. involvement in Kosovo, for example, U-2s gathered and forwarded data via satellite to Intelligence at Beale AFB for instant analysis. The results were sent via satellite to battle commanders, who decided whether attack aircraft should be sent to the target. In one case, U-2 sensors detected enemy aircraft parked on a dirt road and camouflaged by thick, overhanging trees. Only a few minutes elapsed between detection and destruction. No other nation has this capability.

The U-2 long ago outlived predictions of its demise. It also survived its heir apparent, the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. The fleet of 37 aircraft is budgeted to operate for another 20 years, but this could be affected by the evolution and effectiveness of unmanned aircraft. After returning to Earth (physically and emotionally), I am escorted to the Heritage Room where 20 U-2 pilots join to share in the spirited celebration of my high flight. Many of them are involved in general aviation and some have their own aircraft. The walls of this watering hole are replete with fascinating memorabilia about U-2 operations and history. Several plaques proudly list all who have ever soloed Dragon Lady. This group of 670 forms an elite and unusually close-knit cadre of dedicated airmen.

Back to Top

 Join Veteran Communicators

Dan, could you possibly pass along to all your communicator friends that they are most welcome to join our Veteran Communicators Reunion site at .

We'd love to hear stories there too. We encourage communicators from all branches of the service to join our site at no cost.

John Hughes

Attend VCR 2006

Back to Top

Coolest Dog in the World

Contributed by Wayne Justis


Click here to Listen and Watch

Back to Top

 I like Bush but this is Funny!

Contributed by Wayne Justis 

Click here to Listen and Watch

Back to Top

Parking at the Beach

Contributed by Rush Williams 


A Silent Film - In a hurry for a swim?

Back to Top


Contributed by Rush Williams 

March 1, 1966 the 26th Marines are activated at Camp Pendleton, initiating the formation of the 5th Marine Division, while the 1st 155mm Gun Battery and the 3rd 8" Howitzer Battery arrive in RVN. On March 2nd VFMA-545 relived VMFA-232 at Danang just before Operation UTAH was conducted in Quang Ngai Province from the 4th through the 7th. The 1st Hospital Company, HMM-164 and elements of the 7th Motor Transport Battalion arrived in RVN on March 7th.

Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara requested and received authorization for 278,184 active duty Marines, making the Marine Corps the only service to have troop strength larger than its peak during the Korean War. LtGen. Nguyen Chanh Thi was removed as ARVN Commander, I Corps by Prime Minister Ky, leading to protests and strikes in the Hue-Danang area which slowly spread to Saigon.

March 13th saw the Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 1 arrive in RVN with the Force Logistic Command (FLC) established in Danang on March 15th made up of the 1st and 3rd Battalions, 4th Marines. On March 20th, Operation TEXAS commenced south of Chu Lai by Task Force DELTA, while the 1st Medical Battalion and a detachment of the 1st Shore Party Battalion arrived in RVN.

March 23rd saw detachments of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion; HG Battalion, 1st Marine Div.; 3rd Force Service Regiment; 1st Service Battalion; 1st Engineer Battalion; 1st Tank Battalion; and, 1st Dental Company arrive in RVN, as the 9th Marines initiated and continued to employ a system of cordoning off and searching Hamlets permitting a census to be taken in what was named Operation COUNTY FAIR.

March 26th saw the first operation by American troops in the Saigon River Delta area, when the amphibious Operation JACK STAY was initiated in the Rung Sat Special Zone 27 miles SE of Saigon by the Battalion Landing Team, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines.

As March came to an end, the 11th Dental Company; HQ, 1st Tank Battalion; and detachments of the 3rd Amphibian Tractor Battalion and 1st Anti-Tank Battalion arrived in RVN on the 28th.

The Marine KIA count for March 1966 totaled 261, bringing the total Marine Corps KIA list since January 1962 to 954, and made March 1966 the costliest month in the war to date, as well as the costliest month in 1966. Before the end of December 1966, 1,428 more Marines will give their lives in RVN. The Command Chronologies of units deployed in Vietnam give detailed accounts of all operations and events in March 1966.

The information in this report was obtained from the archives at:

Back to Top

Tennessee Marine Family

Contributed by Wayne V. Morris Col USMC (Ret)


I hope this finds you doing well.  I am a recipient of All Hands and enjoy so much receiving all of the information.  Our organization, Tennessee Marine Family, just launched our new website.  I am sending below some information on Tennessee Family and was wondering if this is something that could be sent to the All Hands members.  Our new website is  Thank you for your service and many blessings to you and yours.

Donna Clemons

Founder & President

Tennessee Marine Family

My name is Donna Clemons and I live in Nashville, TN. My son is a United States Marine who returned from his second deployment to Iraq in late 2004.  He is stationed out of Camp Pendleton.  My Marine is currently on his third deployment to Iraq. 

When Zach was in Iraq in 2003, I did not know anyone that was going through the roller coaster of emotions that I was going through. I had never heard of the Yahoo Groups and was so alone. Family members just did not understand.

When my son went back to Iraq in 2004, I became a member of another Yahoo Group that is nationwide. It is a wonderful group, yet we were so far apart from each other. There was a post from a Tennessee Marine Mom who was holding a luncheon! I went to that luncheon and came away with a feeling I've never had before, somewhat like what our Marines must hold dear to them.  We all shared a common bond and understood the very emotions that we live every day.

I wanted to expand on this first luncheon and have a place where we moms could not only meet every month for lunch, but where we could have constant contact with "all" Tennessee Marine family members. I had a vision one night and thought, wouldn't it be nice to have a group of Marine family members who could communicate with each other and support each other using their computer and in person? Hence, I founded Tennessee Marine Family!!

This is a summary of who we are and what we're about:

The Tennessee Marine Families online support group is intended for all family members and loved ones of Marines from Tennessee. However, we do have members who have loved ones in other branches of our military and from other states.  We love and support them just as we do our Marines.  Many of us have shared the trials and tribulations of our Marines' deployments to many countries around the world. The  website's purpose is to share information and support to each other as our Marines and military personnel continue their service.

We meet the third Saturday of ever month at 12:00 (noon) for food, fun and fellowship!! We have our luncheons in Nashville and meet at a variety of locations. We have had anywhere from 30 to 125 people in attendance. One month we served Bar-B-Q, grilled hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken, we have held our luncheons at restaurants, we had a pack-your-own-lunch, and bring your favorite dish.  We have met at the VFW Post and several area churches have been kind enough to allow the group to use their facilities.

We have members from all over the United States and Canada, not just Tennessee.  The members who live close enough to attend our luncheons come from Knoxville, Memphis, Mississippi, Chattanooga, Cleveland, Paducah, Kentucky and many other towns in between. We have been talking about having our luncheon in other parts of the state, but Nashville has seemed to be the best focal point for us thus far. We certainly appreciate all of the support we've had with people finding places for us to meet and are always looking for additional places to have our luncheons.

We conducted our first TMF package drive for our Marines who are deployed overseas in June of 2004 and mailed 104 packages weighing more than 1,000 pounds. Our Marines were very appreciative of that.  We conducted our second TMF package drive on October 16, 2004.  We packed over 300 boxes to our deployed Marines and servicemen and women, weighing over 3,000 pounds at a cost of over $6,000.00!  The outpouring of the community has been tremendous and this has been a huge success.  Very special thanks to our very own Tim Chavez, Marc Torrence and Crossroads Church in Franklin, TN.  We all appreciate their love, support and prayers for our Marines!  Our third package drive took place on Saturday, January 15, 2005 at Crossroads Community Church in Franklin, Tennessee.  Our fourth package drive was May 21st at Crossroads Community Church in Franklin.  We packed and shipped 300 boxes to our troops who are currently deployed!!  We again packed and shipped over 300 boxes in November of 2005 and what a joy it was for our troops!  The boxes were filled with goodies and Christmas stockings!!  We are gearing up for our next package drive to be held in early summer.

On December 2, 2004, due to the growth of TMF we became a a non-profit organization. TMF elected a Board of Directors on December 18, 2004.  We have written our By-Laws and Mission Statement to serve our Marines and their families.

Tennessee has lost 17 very precious Fallen Heroes in Iraq and Afghanistan, 1 Marine in Camp Pendleton during a training accident, 1 Marine from Kentucky whose mother is a member of TMF, and 1 Marine who served in Vietnam whose remains were returned in 2005.  TMF is so honored to have in its membership 15 of those families.  These families are very special to TMF and we continue to love, honor and support them in any way possible. 

We had our first Annual Gold Star Family Banquet on September 17, 2005 for the families of our Fallen Heroes.  Families came together from all across the country to join us for this wonderful event honoring our Marines who have given the ultimate sacrifice.  Our banquet was at Crossroads Church in Franklin, Tennessee.  This was a catered event and everyone came together to support our Gold Star Families.  A special presentation was shown to honor our Fallen Heroes.  I had the honor and privilege of traveling all across the State of Tennessee and Kentucky to meet with each family and to learn about their Marines.  What incredible young men they are!!

Of course, this group could not function without the help of all of its members.  They are fabulous and are such an asset to TMF!!  This is truly an amazing and wonderful group of people and we all LOVE our Marines, Sailors, Airmen, Soldiers and Coast Guardsmen!! Thank you for your interest in TMF and for your support of our troops. Please let me know if I can help you in any way!! My prayers will be with you, your family and your precious Marine, Sailor, Airman, Soldier and Coast Guardsman!!

Please pass the word around to all of your friends and family about TMF!  We want to make sure that we reach as many troops and their families as possible!

Donna Clemons, President

Tennessee Marine Family


Donna Clemons

VPMM of Cpl. Zach - OIF I & OIF II, Currently Deployed OIF III

I pledge allegiance to the Flag and my Heart to my Marine who protects it.

Back to Top

 3/7 challenge coin needed

Contributed by WAYMOR Net


One of my dearly departed Dad’s (OCS ’55) best friends (Parris Island ’61) has a friend who served as a sniper in 3/7 back in Korea.  He’s looking for a challenge coin for 3/7.  Do you or any of your subscribers know where I could find a challenge coin for 3/7?


Thanks and Semper Fi,



Mark K. Moore

IC Group

1250 Western Blvd.

Bldg. L2, Suite 241

Jacksonville, NC 28546


 Back to Top

Don't rush the old folks

Contributed by WAYMOR Net

A little road rage!  Click here

Short and sweet!

Back to Top

The bird dog

Contributed by WAYMOR Net


Click Picture to enlarge

Back to Top

  Quick thinking

Contributed by WAYMOR Net

Sound and video On? Click here

Back to Top

 Hue Memorial Ceremony April 7-9

Contributed by WAYMOR Net

Col. Robert Thompson, commander of 1/5 in the Citadel during the Battle of Hue City, recently notified me of the Hue Memorial Ceremony sponsored by the USS Hue City that will be held April 7-9, 2006 at the Mayport Naval Base.  I was asked to try and help muster our 1/5 Hue City veterans to attend this year's ceremony. 

All 1/5 Hue City vets who want to attend, contact Chaplain Jon Rozema, USS Hue City (CG 66) and mention that you are a 1/5 Hue City vet and ask him to send you an invitation to the memorial service.  You will need the invitation to get onto the Mayport Naval Base.  You can contact the chaplain at 904-270-6500 or e-mail him at  The chaplain will send you an invitation and a schedule of events for April 7-9.  The USS Hue City may be at sea when you call so you may need to try calling several times before the phone is answered. 

The Mayport Naval Base is next to Jacksonville, Florida, directly north of Jacksonville Beach.  The USS Hue City has arranged for a group discount at the Comfort Inn on route A1A on Jacksonville Beach, just down the road from the main gate of Mayport Naval Base.  To book a room at the Comfort Inn, call 800-968-5513 and tell them you would like the discount rate for the Hue Memorial for Apr 7-9.  The rate is $59 (which is really cheap!).  Hue City veterans from 1/5, 2/5 and 1/1 and supporting units will be attending the Hue Memorial.

If you have any problems or questions, you can call me at 215-491-9079.

As a reminder, 1/5 is holding its 9th annual reunion at the Denver Marriott City Center in Denver, Colorado on August 23-27, 2006.  For more information, check our website at and or call me.


Gerry Regan, Charlie 1/5, 1967-68

President, 1/5 Vietnam Veterans Chapter of the 1st Marine Division Association

Back to Top

Monsters and the Weak

Contributed by WAYMOR Net


The sun beat like a hammer, not a cloud was in the sky.

The mid-day air ran thick with dust, my throat was parched and dry.

With microphone clutched tight in hand and cameraman in tow,

I ducked beneath a fallen roof, surprised to hear "stay low."


My eyes blinked several times before in shadow I could see,

the figure stretched across the rubble, steps away from me.

He wore a cloak of burlap strips, all shades of grey and brown,

that hung in tatters till he seemed to melt into the ground.


He never turned his head or took his eye from off the scope,

but pointed through the broken wall and down the rocky slope.

About eight hundred yards," he said, his whispered words concise,

beneath the baggy jacket he is wearing a device."


A chill ran up my spine despite the swelter of the heat,

"You think he's gonna set it off along the crowded street?"

The sniper gave a weary sigh and said "I wouldn't doubt it,"

"unless there's something this old gun and I can do about it.


A thunderclap, a tongue of flame, the still abruptly shattered;

while citizens that walked the street were just as quickly scattered.

Till only one remained, a body crumpled on the ground,

The threat to oh so many ended by a single round.


And yet the sniper had no cheer, no hint of any gloat,

instead he pulled a logbook out and quietly he wrote.

"Hey, I could put you on TV, that shot was quite a story!"

But he surprised me once again -- "I got no wish for glory."


Are you for real?" I asked in awe, "You don't want fame or credit?"

He looked at me with saddened eyes and said "you just don't get it."

You see that shot-up length of wall, the one without a door?

before a mortar hit, it used to be a grocery store."


"But don't go thinking that to bomb a store is all that cruel,

the rubble just across the street -- it used to be a school.

The little kids played soccer in the field out by the road,"

His head hung low, "They never thought a car would just explode."


"As bad as all this is though, it could be a whole lot worse,"

He swallowed hard, the words came from his mouth just like a curse.

"Today the fight's on foreign land, on streets that aren't my own,"

"I'm here today 'cause if I fail, the next fight's back at home."


And I won't let my Safeway burn, my neighbors dead inside,

don't wanna get a call from school that says my daughter died;

I pray that not a one of them will know the things I see,

nor have the work of terrorists etched in their memory."


"So you can keep your trophies and your fleeting bit of fame,

I don't care if I make the news, or if they speak my name."

He glanced toward the camera and his brow began to knot,

"If you're looking for a story, why not give this one a shot."


"Just tell the truth of what you see, without the slant or spin;

that most of us are OK and we're coming home again.

And why not tell our folks back home about the good we've done,

how when they see Americans, the kids come at a run."


You tell 'em what it means to folks here just to speak their mind,

without the fear that tyranny is just a step behind;

Describe the desert miles they walk in their first chance to vote,

or ask a soldier if he's proud, I'm sure you'll get a quote."


He turned and slid the rifle in a drag bag thickly padded,

then looked again with eyes of steel as quietly he added;

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,

that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak."


Michael Marks

January 25, 2006

Back to Top


Contributed by WAYMOR Net

One of the enduring news stories is this whole question of Iraq.

All we ever seem to hear is about people blowing one another up, what a mess it is and how the so-called Iraq mission is a failure and civil war is imminent.

There may be elements of truth in all of that.

But the other side of the story seems never to be presented.

I read a piece recently by Karl Zinsmeister, the Editor-in-Chief of the American Enterprise who has just completed his fourth extended tour of Iraq.

During November and December, he joined numerous American combat operations, walked miles of streets and roads, entered scores of homes and listened to hundreds of Iraqis.

And he says, "Judged fairly, Iraq has been much less costly and debacle-ridden than the Civil War, World War II, Korea and the Cold War, each considered in retrospect to have been noble successes."

He quoted the US General in charge of America's National Guard, putting Iraq casualties into perspective when he said, "I lose, unfortunately, more people through private automobile accidents and motorcycle accidents over the same period."

And, in relation to the argument that Americans are not wanting to serve in Iraq, he said, "All Active Duty branches are exceeding their recruitment requirements....the Army and Marine Corps, who are doing most of the hard service in Iraq, are each at 105% of their quotas."

As to whether or not head way is being made, he says despite the best efforts of terrorists to damage economic structure, the World Bank and the IMF estimate that Iraqi national income per capita is up more than 30% from the year before the war, admittedly only a little over a thousand dollars. 

But it was only $800 in 2002. 

One survey of British researchers found average household income rose 60% from February 2004 to November 2005.

The number of registered cars has doubled, traffic is five times heavier than it was before the war.

Cell phone ownership has jumped from 6% in early 2004 to over 65% today.

Purchases of all consumer goods, air conditioners, refrigerators, washing machines, farm machinery, are soaring.

86% of Iraqi households now have satellite TV.

There are 44 commercial TV stations, 72 commercial radio stations.

More than 100 newspapers.

61% of Iraqis surveyed say security where they live is now good rather than bad.

70% in a recent survey said, "My family's economic situation is good."

8 million Iraqis voted for an interim government in January 2005.

Almost 10 million voted for the constitution.

And then, in a nation with only 14 million adults, 11 million voted in December last year for the first permanent Parliament.

Karl Zinsmeister, the Editor-in-Chief of the American Enterprise, then asked, "Why do I never hear any of this in most reporting."

To which his answer is, "A good question".

He said, "More than perhaps any other news event in a generation, coverage of the Iraq war, has been unbalanced and incomplete."

He said, "When Iraq's unprecedented new constitution was ratified by 79% of voters, the Washington Post buried the story on page 13 with a headline, "Sunnis failed to defeat Iraqi constitution.  Arab minority came close."  And the four top headlines on the front of the Washington Post that day were "Military has lost 2,000 in Iraq...the toll, 2,000.  And Bush aides brace for charges."

Zinsmeister ends by saying, "Iraq is now creeping away from murderous authoritarianism to face the more normal messes of a creaky third world nation: corruption, poverty, health problems and miserable public services."

"But", as he writes, "that is vastly preferable to what came before.

Back to Top

 A. A. A. D. D.

Contributed by Bob Runyon


Recently, I was diagnosed with A. A. A. D. D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

    This is how it manifests:


    I decide to water my garden.

    As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my car needs washing.


    As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mailbox earlier.


    I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.


    I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full.


    So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first.


    But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.


    I take my checkbook off the table, and see that there is only 1 check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Coke that I had been drinking.


    I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the Coke is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.


    As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye-they need to be watered.


    I set the Coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.


    I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.


    I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table.


    I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.


    I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.


    So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.


    Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.


    At the end of the day:

    * the car isn't washed

    * the bills aren't paid

    * there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter

    * the flowers don't have enough water,

    * there is still only 1 check in my check book,

    * I can't find the remote,

    * I can't find my glasses,

    * and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.


    Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail!


    Do me a favor, will you? Forward this message to everyone you know, because I don't remember to whom it has been sent.


    Don't laugh-if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!!


Back to Top


Contributed by WAYMOR Net

Very Very long but a MUST READ.

Click here: » Blog Archive » Steven Emerson’s World

Back to Top

 EU Turning into a Soviet Type Dictatorship?

Contributed by WAYMOR Net

Interesting Read Click Here


Back to Top

How Muslims Punish an 8yr old child

Contributed by WAYMOR Net

One needs to understand true brutality and why we must oppose these regimes who have so bastardized a religion.  This presentation is heart wrenching and makes me truly angry.  Throughout my military career, I had to put personal feelings aside and accomplish the mission.  No room for anger and missteps.  Well, this makes me angry.  This email is not a story - it contains pictures of the worst that Islamic law has to offer.  An eight year old child being punished for stealing bread.  God does not forgive these actions. CWO5 Gerry Weise USMC (Ret)

This is very gruesome, I debated putting it up, but like the Gunner I believe we must understand the enemy we are up against.  Be prepared for some heart ache. - Boone

Click for Power Point pictures only - no sound.

Back to Top


446   Hit Counter