County (LST-1192) was laid down on 7 February 1970 at San Diego, Calif.,
by the National Steel and Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 7 November 1970;
sponsored by Mrs. Neville Holcombe; and commissioned on 1 September 1971,
Comdr. P. R. Royse in command.
LST-1192 was named after a county in South Carolina. Following
commissioning, Spartanburg County transited the Panama Canal to her new
home port, Little Creek, VA., where she was assigned to the Amphibious
Force, Atlantic Fleet. Here, the tank landing ship commenced an operating
cycle consisting of amphibious training exercises along the east coast of
the United States and in the Caribbean interspersed with scheduled
deployments to the Mediterranean. Spartanburg County maintained this cycle
into 1980. The ship participated in the Gulf War and Somalia.
She was decommissioned and struck from
the Naval Register, 16 December 1994, then sold to Malaysia for $18.7
million, under the Security Assistance Program. Malaysia
renamed her Sri Indera Putera (1505) and she was commissioned into
the Malaysian Navy, 31 January 1995.
Back to Top