March 1, 1960, the facility was
designated Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort. Originally
commissioned on June 15, 1943 as a Naval Air Station, during World War II
the Beaufort facility was home base for advanced training and operation of
anti-submarine patrols along the United States' Southeastern seaboard.
Deactivated after the war, in 1956 the facility was reactivated a Marine
Corps Auxiliary Airfield . The airfield was named Merritt Field in
honor of, Major General Louis G. Merritt, USMCR, a Ridge Spring, S.C.
native on September 19, 1975.
MCAS Beaufort is known as "Fightertown".
W4BHU is no longer assigned.
N0XXN is licensed to George C Hey and
Joyce E Bellamy.
Back to Top