Construction started on MCAS Cherry
Point November 20, 1941 just 17 days prior to the Pearl Harbor attack.
The December attack lent an urgency to construction of the facility. On
May 20, 1942, the complex was commissioned Cunningham Field, named in
honor of the Marine Corps' first aviator, LtCol. Alfred A. Cunningham. The
completed facility was later renamed Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry
Point, after a local post office situated among cherry trees. Cherry
Point is now the largest Marine Corps Air Station.
K4BUJ & N0MCP are no longer assigned.
N0IXF is licensed to Ralph S Conley.
Back to Top