Fly Field began in 1928 on land leased
from Yuma County, AZ. Used mostly by private planes during its
infancy, in 1941 permanent runways were added. When WWII began the
base was converted to a pilot training base. Yuma Army Air Base
began graduating pilots in 1943 with training provided in AT-6 single
engine trainers, T-17 multi-engine trainers and B-17 Flying Fortresses.
Closed down at the end of the war, the base was reactivated by the US Air
Force in July of 1951. Originally called Yuma Air Base, it was
renamed in 1956 after Brigadier General Clinton D Vincent who died
in 1955. General Vincent was a pioneer in the techniques of
January of 1959 the base was turned over to the Navy and became Marine
Corps Auxiliary Air Station with Col. L.K. Davis as the first commanding
officer. On July 20, 1962, the designation was changed to Marine
Corps Air Station.
WA7AAJ was licensed by 1965 and became
part of Navy-Marine Corps MARS. Dick Timmons operating. WA7AAJ
& N0FOC are no longer assigned. N0MYU is licensed to David M Mundy.
Back to Top