An Act of Congress
on March 17, 1941 approved funds for a new Navy hospital to be located on
Oahu. Hospital construction began on Halawa Heights in July 1941.
Commissioned Aiea Naval Hospital on November 11, 1942 expansion continued
on the facility. Thousands of wounded Marines and Sailors were
treated on their way home from the war in the Pacific. Following the
battle for Iwo Jima in February - March 1945, the hospital was filled to
overflowing with 5,676 in-patients, the highest number at any given time
in its history. The hospital was deactivated June 1, 1949 when Army and
Navy medical facilities were consolidated at Tripler Army Medical Center.
In 1955, the
Marine Corps selected the site as the "Home of the Fleet Marine Force
Pacific." The installation was renamed on June 8, 1955, in honor of
General Holland McTyeire ("Howlin' Mad") Smith, the first commanding
general of the Fleet Marine Forces, Pacific, a highly regarded Marine
leader during World War II, . The first Marines took up residence in
October 1955, and Camp H.M. Smith was in full operation two weeks before
its dedication on January 31, 1956.
In October 1957,
Camp Smith became the headquarters for United States Pacific Command.
In 1994 Camp HM Smith was consolidated into Marine Corps Base Hawaii.
licensed in 1951, was licensed
to Fleet Marine Force Pacific Headquarters by 1958. Neither KH6AJF
nor N0EEM are currently assigned.
Back to Top