encompasses 22.3 acres of land located in Arlington, Virginia. Since 1943
the facility provides barracks and support for Marines assigned to
Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps as well as certain schools and agencies
within the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area. The Hall was
named for the 5th Commandant Archibald Henderson.
Licensed in 1948 by then Captain
(later Colonel) Sanford B Hunt as W4NTR the station became known as the
"Granddaddy of USMC Stations". It's roster of
operators rings like a "Who's Who" of Marine Corps Amateur radio.
MSgt Fenton Martin; GySgt James Irwin; 1st Sgt Kin Boso; Sgt John
Littleton, CWO Joe Van Brocklin, CWO Gus Ponstingel; MSgt Wes Armstrong;
MSgt Wes Wilson; GySgt Wayne Justis; SSgt Doug Thomas and many more.
received call N0ASM from the Navy-Marine Corps MARS system in 1962 and was
subsequently designated NAV2. The 1970 renaming gave it the MARS
call N0MHH. With the decline of traffic after the
Vietnam War, Doug Thomas was given the sad duty of shutting the station
W4NTR is no longer assigned.
N0ASM is now the vanity call of
Arnold S Miller,
former KG4YIS. N0MHH has been assigned to
Dale E Bailey.
COLONEL and BREVET BRIGADIER GENERAL
ARCHIBALD HENDERSON, USMC
17 October 1820 - 6 January 1859